14 May 2008

Bupyeong Boys High School English Communication Teacher is, right now, probably the most terrifying job I can think of. Stunt man? Bring it on. Fireman? Sure, I'll rescue old men from burning buildings and kittens from trees. International spy? HELL YES. Standing in front of a group of fifty 16-year-old boys whose hormones are a-racin' and trying to teach them something when they barely know what language you're speaking? Scary.

Today, after a week of teaching, I had my first horrifying experience; if I were in high school myself, I may even have used the term 'mortifying.' Fifth period English, low intermediate level one VS. Heidi. I should've known it even before I'd shut the classroom door- every seat was full and every mouth was open... In the end, I simply stopped trying and stood at the front of the class, face down, writing in my notebook about what I should do to prevent this situation from ever happening again- trying to maintain as much dignity as possible, knowing I had been beaten.

Ah well, ego intact, I will push on. Any job after this one is going to be a walk in the fucking park:)

No comments: