Erasing the board after my first advanced-level summer intensive English class, I ran my hand over the words 'liberal', 'conservative,' 'Rupert Murdock', 'Fox,' 'evil,' and 'propaganda'... and I realized that the rule "Never talk politics or religion at the dinner table" should be extended to the classroom (I think, in most cases, it already is... I'm just a bit slow to catch up).
I'll be lucky if any of them show up again on Monday.
The saying "Expect the best, prepare for the worst" is good advice, though I can only say that looking at it from the other side. While I was preparing for the worst in my low-level class, in which some of the students can barely utter the word 'hi' and still regularly say "Hi guys!" as they wave to me, I was too busy expecting the best for the high-levels. As it always seems to go, the low-level class went sparkling- the kids were participating, we were all smiling... it was great. Then the advanced-level boys came in. Quiet as mice, they stared at me like they hadn't been the ones to volunteer for the class, which is a terrible thing for me- whenever I get nervous I jabber on about whatever pops into my brain. And thank goodness! Politics.
What in the hell was I thinking?
20 July 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
The beginning of this third paragraph reminds me of a Latin maxim:
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
(If you want peace, prepare for war)
This is also the namesake of the 9mm bullet so popular today - the 9mm Parabellum, fyi.
Post a Comment